Engineering Students at Queen's
Fourth Year Students
- Engineers in the Class of 2020 must complete a minimum of 28 Total Hours.
- At least 10 of these hours MUST be completed during Final Week, unless take down hours were completed – See next bullet point. However, more than 10 hours can be completed during Final Week; these will count towards your Total Hours.
- Sci ’20s had the option to complete hours during take down for Sci ’19’s Formal.
Fifth Year Students
- Fifth year students who did not choose to attend their own Sci Formal can purchase a Sci ’20 ticket and must complete 28 total hours with 10 of those hours being Final Week hours.
- If you are a fifth-year student who did attend your own Sci Formal you can only attend our Sci Formal as a guest.
- Guests who attend Queen’s (students not in Sci ’20) must complete 12 Total Hours, including 6 Final Week Hours.
- Guests who do not attend Queen’s are not required to complete any hours.
Interns do still have to complete hours, but do not have to complete final week hours. Interns can complete hours at any time in the fall before Science Formal.
- Students located in Kingston must complete 20 total hours. These hours can be completed at any time.
- Students located within 150 km of Kingston must complete 15 total hours. These 15 hours can be completed at any time.
- Students located within 300 km of Kingston (GTA, Montreal, Ottawa, etc.) must complete 10 total hours. These 10 hours can be completed at any time.
- Students located more than 300 km away from Kingston do not have to complete any hours.
If you are involved in activities outside of school or you have a personal situation that you feel may hinder you from completing your Science Formal hour requirements, you may qualify for an hour reduction.
Policy regarding the hour reductions will be posted during the first week of school along with the hour reduction application. The Communications Chair will be providing both.
Activities that can qualify you for an hour reduction include:
- Varsity athlete
- Part time job
- School field trips
- Conference Executive Committees
- ASUS Involvement
- EngSoc Involvement
The hour reduction form for Sci 20's is: Sci 20 Hour Reduction
The hour reduction form for guests is: Guest Hour Reduction
If you have any questions please contact the Communications Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org
Hours can be transferred from one student to another (including guests), at a rate of 2-1. For example, if you do 10 extra hours you can transfer those to a friend who will be credited with 5 hours.
If you completed take down hours at last year’s Science Formal and are not attending Science Formal CXV, you can transfer those hours.
If you have received an hour reduction, you cannot transfer hour reduction hours, but you can transfer any other hours you have earned (ie. warehouse hours).
All hours retain their type when they are transferred (ie. regular, final). But overflow final week hours that you have received will count towards your total hour requirement, as usual.
Please email email@example.com to request an hour transfer, and include the following information:
- Your name
- Your net ID
- Recipient name
- Recipient net ID
- How many hours you are transferring (and the type). i.e. 5 regular hours and 2 final hours becomes 2.5 regular and 1 final
The Sci Formal IT Managers will aim to complete hour transfers within a week after receiving the request, so please check the hour logger then. No email will be sent to say that it has been completed, so make sure to continuously check the hour logger after submitting this request.
Buying Out Hours
Hours can be purchased during final week in Grant Hall along with the remaining amount for the ticket to attend the formal.
- Regular hours: $15/hour
- Final Week hours: $20/hour